A very cute hack for a 1-wire LCD panel interface, including power!

WB4JFI wb4jfi1 at wb4jfi.com
Fri Jan 2 15:43:44 CST 2015

My only concern was the current needed for the LEDs in the display
backlight - if any.

While 2400 baud seems quite slow, that's almost 240 characters per second,
and most of the time you need to slow the data flow to LCD displays anyway,
so the slower serial speed may not be as bad as it seems.

Using 2400 baud also means that it matches up much better to a software
serial UART on the Arduino.  The software UARTs  don't work too well much
above 4800 to 9600 baud on the Arduinos.  Using a software UART frees up the
Arduino hardware serial port for debugging, etc

Technically, this is actually a TWO-WIRE solution, as a GROUND connection is
also required!

There are other solutions available as well.  Several different I2C LCD
drivers are available, and the number of wires is only doubled to four
required.  I2C is also a shared bus, so one can argue that you aren't
actually losing ANY pins or connections on any micro that has I2C.  I have
some projects that have four different devices sharing the one I2C bus on
Arduinos, without issues.

Hardware I/O expander ICs are another way to drive LCD displays using fewer
wires.  Hooking one I2C to 16-bit I/O device up to an Arduino is also
already supported with libraries for the Arduino.  This is a slight variant
of the I2C mentioned above, primarily because a dedicated springhead is not
used, just a fancy hardware I2C UART.

If you planned to use a multi-color backlight, the shown solution's hardware
will need to be modified to add the other two color LEDs, plus additional
software would be required.  Several I2C LCD drivers already have the
multi-color backlight built-in.

Happy New Year!
73, Terry, WB4JFI