LED bulbs

Eric Carlson ecarlson at invisiblerobot.com
Mon Jan 26 21:08:13 CST 2015

  Thanks. And a question below.

  I had a $10 off Staples coupon so I got 3 LED bulbs for $2. Now that I've
tried them, I might go back for more, if they have any left. Most of my
house has CFL's or similar, with incandescent in the master bedroom and
master bath for the best dimming capabilities. I counted about 90 bulbs
altogether.

  I tried these dimmable LED bulbs with dimmers, and they are pretty good,
except for the slightly high turn on light level with triac dimmers (I
assume solid state dimmers still use triacs).

  For the past 30+ years I've been using a variac as a dimmer in the master
bedroom, to eliminate the audible lightbulb buzzing/ringing sometimes
caused by triac dimmers, and to provide excellent light control, especially
at very low light levels.

  Here's the question: I tried these LED bulbs on the variac, and they dim
very well, even at pretty low light levels. Are these dimmable LED bulbs
safe to use on a variac? And are there any reasons I shouldn't use them on
the variac?

- Eric, AJ4LN