Automated LCR Transistor Tester

Karl W4KRL W4KRL at arrl.net
Sat Feb 28 18:54:39 CST 2015

At Tacos today there was interest in the automated
transistor/inductor/capacitor/resistor tester I found on eBay. This unit
automatically identifies the type of component under test and graphically
displays the pinout of the device. In just a few minutes I was able to
identify and check dozens of transistors that have been in my junk drawer
for years.

On eBay, a search for "LCR transistor tester" turns up about 120 similar
items. Almost all are $20 or less including shipment from Asia. The
specific unit I bought came from elecbuy
<http://stores.ebay.com/elecbuy?_trksid=p2047675.l2563> from China for $20,
It arrived 14 days after placing the order:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321404670717?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The units are based on a design by Markus Frejek. I found very wordy
documentation in machine-translated English but the website now comes up as
malicious. If anyone is interested I can send it to you.

Amazingly, the actual measurement circuit uses only 6 resistors and an
ATmega328 controller, the same type as used in the Arduino. There are many
more parts used for the power supply and auto-off circuit.

Video review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx55Gza0zGE
For more reviews search youtube.com for "fish8840".

Accuracy data:
http://lygte-info.dk/review/ComponentTester%20Fish8840%20UK.html

*73 Karl W4KRL*