Vandalism in Arizona Shut Down Internet, Cellphone, Telephone Service Across State | Washington Free Beacon

Louis Mamakos louie at transsys.com
Sun Mar 1 20:52:35 CST 2015

Many years ago while at UUNET, we had an Internet POP in Phoenix, and there are diverse fiber routes available.  I can't recall what the routes were at the time.  However if you look at, e.g., www.zayo.com you can trivially see that there are two routes that one carrier has available, East/West along I-10 in and out of Phoenix.  Possibly there are others available on different operators.

Phoenix is a large enough market that it wouldn't be "stubbed" off the edge of a network.  Even when a single path is available, you'll often see diverse cable runs on opposite sides of a highway or rail right-of-way.  Of course, this isn't foolproof, as famously demonstrated by the fire in a railway tunnel under Baltimore, that got both fiber runs down each side of the tunnel.  Oh well.

louie
wa3ymh