low bands

WB4JFI wb4jfi1 at wb4jfi.com
Wed Apr 29 16:31:38 CDT 2015

Hey Frank,
If we (AMRAD) are going to put together material for an LF Handbook, I
suggest we need to carefully look at the existing material, and plan to do
some major updates ad new projects.  While antenna ideas from before may
still apply, along with some stuff like LF up/down converters, a LOT of new
technology has come along to supplant other parts of what was done several
years ago.

Specifically, modulation techniques, DSP, power amplifiers, preamps, etc,
have all been improved since what was done the last time.  Unless AMRAD
culls out old, outdated info and updates things, we run the risk of being
laughed at for just reintroducing "old methods" that are no longer relevant
or effective.

Hal has been talking about restarting LF within AMRAD a few times on the
Tuesday night tech net, he was met with luke-warm response.

Separately, AMRAD members need to get on the Tuesday night tech-net at 8PM.
There has been only 3-4 hams consistently on, and one of them keeps trying
to sell land on hill tops instead of technical discussions.  Hal mentioned
that he might be willing to change nights if there is a better time, but not
everyone could make any day of the week.

I can't help with going through the file cabinet from Charleston, SC, but
I'm willing to work on updates to LF projects and ideas.  I was also willing
to work on Arduino frequency hopping, and had started working with Andre and
Hal, until Andre passed away.

73, Terry prime, N4TLF (old call WB4JFI)