DVB-T QST article

Tad tad at planetisuzoo.com
Thu May 14 18:12:56 CDT 2015

I have a few different ones, ranging from the $8 cheapies to the $45
dc-daylight models.  They certainly are easy to use.  With an $8 dongle,
and a $4 cable you can run one on your Android phone for cheap and portable
monitoring.  As some will surely add, it has limited bandwidth, limited
range and of course who knows how long they will last.

For starting off, I would get the $20 one from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/RTL-SDR-Blog-RTL2832U-Software-Telescopic/dp/B00QFCNNV0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1431644801&sr=8-2&keywords=sdr

You won't have to worry about getting the correct chipset like with the
Ebay ones and it comes with an antenna to get you started.

Add this cable for your Android device:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MAJTTYC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

To use a real antenna you'll need an MCX adapter, like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/coaxial-cable-assembly-female-right/dp/B00CSCTU40/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1431645146&sr=1-1&keywords=mcx-bnc

Try this software.  If you like it, you can unlock the waterfall time limit
by purchasing the $10 key
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=marto.androsdr2
Key:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=marto.androsdr.key

You'll need this driver too:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=marto.rtl_tcp_andro

You can do cheap and easy ADSB tracking with the same setup using:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=bs.Avare.ADSB

Here's a screenshot from yesterday using the cheap mag-mount antenna that
came with it:
http://imgur.com/AItgqbN

-Tad