The Golden Age of Radio in the US

Ralph Wallio, W0RPK W0RPK at netins.net
Fri May 15 15:01:13 CDT 2015

http://dp.la/exhibitions/exhibits/show/radio-golden-age

Tuning into the radio is now an integrated part of our everyday lives.
We tune in while we drive, while we work, while we cook in our kitchens.
Just 100 years ago, it was a novelty to turn on a radio. The radio
emerged at the turn of the twentieth century, the result of decades of
scientific experimentation with the theory that information could be
transmitted over long distances. Radio as a medium reached its
peak---the so-called Radio Golden Age---during the Great Depression and
World War II. This was a time when the world was rapidly changing, and
for the first time Americans experienced those history-making events as
they happened. The emergence and popularity of radio shifted not just
the way Americans across the country experienced news and entertainment,
but also the way they communicated. This exhibition explores the
development, rise, and adaptation of the radio, and its impact on
American culture.