1940's radio bands?

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Jun 16 07:42:48 CDT 2015

What did the radio bands sound like in 1940?

I’m reading the secret wireless war by Geoffrey Pidgeon and that, along
with reads about Bletchley Park and another book on spies (cant remember
the name) and I just have no clue what one heard when “tuning the bands”.

I had generally just assumed that everything was CW by the look of
things..  And RTTY…. And so far in the book, there is no mention of voice
radio other than a limited use short tange FM system for spies to talk up
to aircraft..

My Father in law was a radioman in the battle of the bulge but I didn’t get
around to asking till it was too late.

I guess there is no way to re-create it, so unless there are recordings, I
guess it is gone.

Apparently SSB was discovered in 1915 and patented in 1923 or so?  It was
used by high commands in WWII to mask normal voice, but I haven’t found
much about its juse in WWII.

I guess by WWII, everything had a BFO or the superregens too the CW came
out as tones just like today?

Bob, WB4APR