1940's radio bands?

Paul Dluehosh n4pd at ieee.org
Tue Jun 16 08:41:39 CDT 2015

Bob,

The Secret Wireless War is a great book and it gives some real insight into a segment of the effort to defeat the Axis.

It would make sense that only CW was primarily used since text could be encrypted easily (manually) before transmission, whereas voice encryption was probably not available in an easily transportable package for covert operatives.

Since many nations may have observed enforced radio silence on the ham bands, like the U.S. did, probably most of the traffic on the air was covert transmissions. The only voice transmissions over any distance that I am aware of were cryptic messages from BBC broadcasting at specified times to agents overseas.

You just need to look at some of the surplus equipment that became available to hams after WWII to see the state of the art in receivers at the time, which I don't think was all that bad. Maybe not as sensitive or selective, but it did the job during the war and for hams after the war!

My $0.02.

73,
Paul -- N4PD
Sent from my iPad