Field Day

Iain McFadyen ki4hlv at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 08:12:21 CDT 2015

I agree.

Notwithstanding the fact that I am battling an S9 noise floor, I tried to
give away some points yesterday (and will be back at it later today).

I heard zero USA stations on 14MHz or 21MHz for the first hour! .

By 9pm I had managed to work 25 stations, including two from MDC
(Maryland/DC).

There was a solar event earlier in the week which may have affected
conditions.

First job when I get back to the Club Station is to investigate an
electrical problem in the Yaesu FL2100 which prevented me from using it
yesterday, so I was only running barefoot. Probably electrical discharge
caused by dust across the HV capacitors, or maybe one capacitor arcing over.

Keep an ear open for 9Y4TT. I will be in search & pounce mode only...

Even with my puny signal, I was stunned by the number of 'great audio'
reports I got. Not sure if the mic is anything special, or maybe I just
take the time to set up the processor and keep an eye on the ALC more
carefully than most.

There was just one really trashy signal on 21MHz yesterday.

I am not in favour of the automated voice recordings in use.

Iain