FCC reported to be trying to prevent 3rd party WiFi device firmware upgrades

Martin dcmk1mr2 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 11:25:45 CDT 2015

This extends beyond WiFi routers - it's anything with a Part 15
Certification.  Phones with WiFi, IOT, ...

The FCC seems to be suggesting that manufacturers use a bootloader that
looks for signed binaries.

The comment deadline has been extended to Oct 9.
https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2015/09/01/2015-21634/extension-of-time-for-comments-on-equipment-authorization

Martin W6MRR