FCC reported to be trying to prevent 3rd party WiFi device firmware upgrades

Rob Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Thu Sep 3 11:48:39 CDT 2015

Fifteen years ago give or take, there was a big kerfluffle about DeCSS
and DVD ripping.  Today's code signing algorithms may be stronger than
content scramble system, systems today often have TPMs built in... but
keys that can generate "signed" binaries will be leaked, tribal
knowledge will accumulate about which rev levels of which devices are
"the good ones to have", and eventually we're back to the ecosystem of
today, but with the added complicating dimension of crypto.

In short, the Internet routes around damage.  If the FCC cares to
waste their cycles and taxpayer dollars here, it won't work out well
for them.

-r