Copper Phone Lines Vs Fiber Optic, Which Is Better?

Rob Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Sat Sep 26 21:20:37 CDT 2015

Richard Demaret <ric.demaret at gmail.com> writes:

> Greetings Everyone,
>
> As all of you know Verizon has been pushing FIOS very hard for some time.
>
> I still have copper lines and want to keep them.
>
> Am I being foolish, or should I go to FIOS?

Back when DSL over UNEs was (a) mandated by law, and (b) a viable
technology generally for delivering "reasonable speed broadband" in a
contemporary context, I completely sympathized with this sentiment.

But time's moved on - the 2010 4/1 standard for "broadband" was
attainable under favorable conditions with DSL, while the 2015 25/3
standard is only rarely attainable via VDSL[2], lucky breaks on plant
maintenance, and proximity to the CO or remote equipment.

This is my set-up for the question - what problem are you solving by
keeping copper?

-r