PC board milling?

Rob Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Fri Jan 1 08:44:42 CST 2016

EDM sounds awfully interesting.  That might be just because I
generally find the DIY EDM machines to be pretty fascinating.  I don't
know how fine a scale they work well at though - will they cut pads
for the smaller SMT stuff?  I generally think of EDM in terms of stuff
where the tolerances are 0.005" or so (an artifact of me looking at
cheapie EDM machines I think), which is fine for a whole lot of stuff.
But when dealing with a 0.4 mm pitch QFP (i.e. leads on 0.015"
centers) you might wish for better.  I believe the limits of the
*technology* are much better than that, but how much money do you have
to spend to get there?  You still have to position it.

In other words, I solicit your expertise on the limits of the
mechanical stuff and what it's practical to do on a homemade/hobbyist
basis :-)

-r

PS: Anyone ever done plated-through holes on homemade PCBs?  That's
always been the trump card in my arguments for sending stuff out to a
service bureau.