The Dangers Of Our Hobby and Pursuits

Phil philmt59 at aol.com
Fri Mar 4 05:02:06 CST 2016

Dear all

Yesterday, I received a small hobby-related package in the post. The internal packaging bore the the message:

"Warning  Always use the correct safety wear"

and a series of icons demonstrated that the essentials were:

1.	Safety glasses;
2.	Ear defenders;
3.	Respirator mask;
4.	Heavy gloves.

Personally, I thought that this was a little over-the-top for the contents - 100-off 3mm light-duty steel washers - but who am I to judge the dangers? My only problem now is handling individual washers while wearing the heavy-duty gloves, but I'll work on it.

Please bear this in mind as you pursue your daily efforts - things are MUCH MORE DANGEROUS now than they were when we were young. As a colleague once observed, "One of the hallmarks of a successful scientist is that they survived the experiments they attempted when they were kids."

Phil M1GWZ