Certain Windows 10 drivers may soon stop working

Terry N4TLF n4tlf at wb4jfi.com
Mon Aug 1 13:36:43 CDT 2016

More anti-Microsoft scare tactics, as far as I'm concerned...  let's get
real.

If you read the article, it limits the amount of damage done to only new
installations - NOT the upgrades or pre-existing installations:
"OS signing enforcement is only for new OS installations; systems upgraded
from an earlier OS to Windows 10, version 1607 will not be affected by this
change"

I would prefer to have drivers that have some proof of validity in my
installations, which is the point of this.  I want to know what is NOT a
valid driver, and make up my own mind whether to use it or not.

Mel has been trying to run a Linux-only ham computer for a while now, and
contesting software is the main problem.  There aren't any good ones that
match the Windows ones.  Virtually all ham contest programs are written for
Windows, as that is STILL where the market is.  The vast majority of hams
run Windows.  Period.  N1MM, N3FJP, and other contest program authors have
already indicated that they have NO INTEREST in supporting Linux, or
anything other than Windows.

Mel and I worked on someone's contest program written for Windows in Java to
get it running better on Linux, but the original author had no interest in
our work.  Other contest program authors have also expressed a total lack of
interest in supporting Linux.  Some ham programs DO support Linux, or can be
run using WINE or other tricks (virtual boxes, etc), but as soon as you try
to interface to a rig or other device, all bets are off.

I have a love/hate relationships with both Windows and Linux, and I bet that
doesn't change anytime soon.  Yes, Microsoft can be overbearing and targets
the vast majority of email/browsing users only, but the design tools are
really great, they don't go bad, and it IS the predominant OS in the world.
Yes, Linux is "free", is "safer", and works really nice for some stuff.  But
try to get that software running that you wrote a year, two, or more back.
You quickly find that the latest distro has changed where at least some
dependencies are, and you will enjoy days of searching for those moved
libraries, which makes Windows DLL-HELL look like a stroll in the park.  Not
good for any commercial product.

Have you tried to run a five-year-old version of GNU-Radio lately?  I have
tried and can't.  How about an older version of Eclipse and GCC?  My Visual
C 2005 Express still works, as do the programs written in it.  Linux is a
constantly moving target whose destination is at the whim of people that
LOVE to change their minds.

Don't get me wrong, I've used Linux since it first came out, and have gone
through more distros than I can name.  It's interesting and cool.  Many of
my computers dual-boot Windows and Linux.  But the FREE OS more than makes
up for the cost with the amount of time learnin' the latest incantations to
make something that's not purely off-the-shelf work.  If you don't want to
spend all your time relearning what you thought you already knew, Linux can
be a major pain in the butt.  Plus the lack of support is a big deal.

There are many Linux people that say you can get support from "the cloud" of
users out there.  I don't consider support being responses like "RTFM" from
some wizard that thinks he/she is way cooler than you.  Sing along: "I know
more than you doooooo".

I've got 15 active computers, many running Windows XP, Vista, 7, and
(mostly) 10.  Most stuff still runs on all of them.  I think that I've also
currently got Ubuntu 8.04, 12.04, 14?, Mint Cinnamon 16, and now Cinnamon
18.  The older Ubuntu installations are almost worthless, as too many
dependencies have now changed.

I am getting a t-shirt made that says: "Life is too short for Linux"  But, I
still bang my head against that wall....

BTW, I STILL have a hate/hate relationship with my Macbook Pro.  Apple is
evil, pure and simple.  They make Microsoft look like angels, even with the
new Swift.  Forcing you to pay $99 a year just to keep your app alive in the
store... even if the app is free.  More like a swift kick in the...  You can
now share an app outside the store, but only if your "friends" can also
build it from source.  I'm so grateful.

If you ask nicely, I will tell you what I REALLY think!
73, Terry, N4TLF