FW: Really, Toyota, Really?

William Fenn wfenn4 at verizon.net
Tue Jan 24 22:56:07 CST 2017

Back in 1971 I was working for a Two Way Radio shop in Oklahoma City.  One of our customers was the President of the ALPO Pet Food Company.  He had a brand new Lincoln Town Car with an 80 W GE Exec Radio in it and anti-lock brakes with sensors around the wheel rims. He was giving Ford a rough time because his car had a little brake problem.  If he keyed the transmitter while driving down the road the brakes engaged.  If he keyed the transmitter while applying the brakes they released.

Ford had been trying to solve the problem for several months.

On Tuesday, January 24, 2017 11:14 PM Doug Gentges wrote;

Subject: Re: Really, Toyota, Really?

Local ham friend had a modern Cadillac with a high powered HF rig installed.  All was well, except when he keyed up on 60m.  The CAN bus ran at 5MHZ, and the RF got into it, causing an immediate shutdown of the entire vehicle.  It required a battery cable disconnect/reconnect to get everything rebooted and running again.

Doug