Beware of the BIG Win10Pro 64b Update

Richard O'Neill richardoneill at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 7 08:39:11 EDT 2017

The buggers from Micro$oft did a real number on my Dell Alienware 17R i7
laptop running W10Pro 64bit yesterday.

As if it wasn't bad enough that this one came with no warning !

It was a huge update , involving several preprogrammed restarts , took
over an hour .

Then I discovered at the end when rebooted that LOTS of changes had been
made.

>> Toby Eye Tracking had been reinitiated  (I'd gone the trouble of disabling this feature as I prefer to type in
my passwords and Í don't like having my  WebCam running 24/7.

>> McAfee stopped working , clicking the  shortcut on my Desktop failed to activate, and clicking the Exe failed.

>> Internet Explore had changed = a  permanent MS Edge Tag (I don't like using MS Edge), I prefer to use
Google via Explorer.

>> MS Office 365 had stopped working

>> When I used Explorer to go to Google , I  could search and get results BUT couldn't open the webpages , the
process hung

>> When I used Edge to go to Google , see  above.

>> My shortcuts in my Favorates were all  broken links , and even those which looked ok would not open.

>> when I tried to open Outlook (Hotmail) ,  I got to just before the "redirect" and it hung...

>> tried to open GMail .... hung  immediately.

>> at least TASKMANAGER worked.

>> tried diabling Toby Eye and the WebCam ,  every time I restarted I was back to square one ! frown.gif !

Wanted to do System Restore , checked and found all the Restore Points
prior to yesterday were gone .... frown.gif

So I got frustrated and contacted Dell Techical Support --> Dell Premium
Professional Support (came with computer)  ,  was thinking a conflict
with the Killer 1535 wireless network card or the card had died.

Technician  was unable to connect remotely so we had to do everything
manually as follows .

Troubleshooting that we have performed:

DOS commands (remember dos ?)

>> FlushDNS = No change, issue still no  internet

>> Release/Renew IP = Issue still persists

Windows Network troubleshooter = Issue still not resolved

As for other apps not opening = Still not opening

We identified the issue was software (OS) not hardware caused. (kinda a
relief , but Dell are really set up to help with Win OS issues ....)

Our diagnosis is = Latest very large Windows update caused issues.

So I mentioned I considered doing either a roll back or running the OS
Restore USBdrive  I'd bought when I bought the computer but I was unsure
what these do and really didn't want to have to reinstall my "stuff =
DSLR camera, Printer Combo, software = McAffee, Office 365, Office Pro
2000, CyberLink, Vuze, Win7 Games (for Win10), Guide8, Matlab, etc) .
And asked if the Restore Point would be possibly roll back to previous
restore point = tech thought it was so we gave it a go.

Roll Backed to previous version prior to Windows update install = Success

  - Seems roll back have worked and now just monitor system

Advised to Disable Windows update for now to make sure issue does not
come back.

So after several hours of testing and trying to do things last night
before giving up and going to bed, and another 3 hours today

>> I made sure I had all my photos backed  up on a 128GIG USB drive and all my documents and favourates backed up
in an 8GIG USB drive , and I had my Outlook files backed up on another
8GIG USB drive JIC.

>> The roll back worked , every seems to be  working now (but I still had to tinker with MS Outlook setting so I
could read my emails without going to MS Mail. Not tried GMail yet.

I have stopped automatic updates for now , will wait a month before
restarting them , hopefully Micro$oft will have the issues in this big
update sorted by then.... I really wish they would Beta test their
updates if you have to have the dam things and they'd make sure they
didn't corrupt people's systems before releasing these updates.

I hate Win10 !!!