Advice sought - isolation transformer inrush current limiting

Mark Whittington markwhi at gmail.com
Wed May 23 10:55:29 EDT 2018

Hey Bill,

Thanks for the reply.  I suspect if this were isolated on its own breaker
or an industrial breaker there wouldn't be a problem, but this is on a
residential 15A breaker and the breaker services more than just the
transformer.  Also my understanding is that residential breakers tend to
have different (less forgiving) time/current curves than industrial
breakers designed for big inductive loads.  This is why I suspect the
problem to be caused by inrush current and not a fault in the device or in
the breaker and why I hope limiting the inrush will resolve the problem.

I think I'm going to try the series 75w bulb approach that Karl suggested
and if that mitigates the problem then I'll probably go the NTC thermistor
route for a long-term fix, but if you or Bill Fenn can suggest some test or
another that I can perform that would identify a problem with the windings
in the transformer or some other problem then I'd love to hear about it --
don't want to turn an annoyance into a house fire, right?

Thanks all for your help thus far.

-Mark