Advice sought - isolation transformer inrush current limiting

Bill Danielson anviljenkins at gmail.com
Wed May 23 11:35:47 EDT 2018

really we just wire them up and use them, and put in a new one when they
fail :-).I am hoping we all learn something in the replies :-).

http://www.cooperindustries.com/content/dam/public/bussmann/Electrical/Resources/solution-center/technical_library/BUS_Ele_Tech_Lib_Transformer_Protection.pdf

That document there would suggest that what you have going on is not
typical to Industrial stuff. I know our overloads for a lot of things
(not fuses) do have two modes of overload, one is inductive and one is
thermal...this helps cope with the high inductive current when an AC
motor starts ? Industrial fuses also many of them apparently have a dual
mode that allows a higher inrush current, and then there are "slow blow"
versions as well ??

I am wondering if you would be better to hook your transformer to a
circuit a larger breaker, but use a separate fuse(s) to protect it ??
Just to fiddle around if you have an electric dryer that existing
circuit and plug would give you safe access to what a 50A 230VAC circuit
?? Then size an industrial fuse like the document tells us to ??

Bill