Advice sought - isolation transformer inrush current limiting

Jacek Radzikowski jacek.radzikowski at gmail.com
Wed May 23 14:28:07 EDT 2018

Just a comment: HV differential probes useful for work on mains-powered
circuits became cheap enough to have one (or more) in a toolbox "just in
case". You can find Micsig probes on ebay for less than $150, and they look
like pretty decent product:
http://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/new-low-cost-($170)-100mhz-differential-scope-probe-from-micsig/

Jacek
kw4ep

On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 1:40 PM, Mark Whittington <markwhi at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> typical to Industrial stuff. I know our overloads for a lot of things (not
>> fuses) do have two modes of overload, one is inductive and one is
>> thermal...this helps cope with the high inductive current when an AC motor
>> starts ? Industrial fuses also many of them apparently have a dual mode
>> that allows a higher inrush current, and then there are "slow blow"
>> versions as well ??
>>
>> I am wondering if you would be better to hook your transformer to a
>> circuit a larger breaker, but use a separate fuse(s) to protect it ?? Just
>> to fiddle around if you have an electric dryer that existing circuit and
>> plug would give you safe access to what a 50A 230VAC circuit ?? Then size
>> an industrial fuse like the document tells us to ??
>>

>> Bill
>>

>> On 05/23/2018 10:55 AM, Mark Whittington wrote:
>>
>> Hey Bill,
>>
>> Thanks for the reply.  I suspect if this were isolated on its own breaker
>> or an industrial breaker there wouldn't be a problem, but this is on a
>> residential 15A breaker and the breaker services more than just the
>> transformer.  Also my understanding is that residential breakers tend to
>> have different (less forgiving) time/current curves than industrial
>> breakers designed for big inductive loads.  This is why I suspect the
>> problem to be caused by inrush current and not a fault in the device or in
>> the breaker and why I hope limiting the inrush will resolve the problem.
>>
>> I think I'm going to try the series 75w bulb approach that Karl suggested
>> and if that mitigates the problem then I'll probably go the NTC thermistor
>> route for a long-term fix, but if you or Bill Fenn can suggest some test or
>> another that I can perform that would identify a problem with the windings
>> in the transformer or some other problem then I'd love to hear about it --
>> don't want to turn an annoyance into a house fire, right?
>>
>> Thanks all for your help thus far.
>>
>> -Mark
>>
>> On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 10:23 AM, Bill Danielson <anviljenkins at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Back to the OP, I am a Maintenance Technician in a large mfg plant, we
>>> have a LOT of transformers in the plant and when power is turned off an
>>> back on there is never any issue at all. Sounds kind of strange that this
>>> is going on. I understand some basics of how an inductor works, that there
>>> will be an initial surge until the magnetic field builds up, but Industrial
>>> stuff must be made to just work on power up and not blow a properly sized
>>> fuse ??
>>>
>>> Bill
>>>
>>> On 05/23/2018 10:04 AM, Karl W4KRL wrote:
>>>
>>> Jerry,
>>>

>>> My speculation is that the minuscule motion of the laminations against
>>> each other transfer mechanical energy to the coating on the laminations
>>> thereby warming them slightly. As they become stickier or softer they do a
>>> better job of dampening the emitted sound.

>>> urrent.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw_47YBRBxEiwAYuKdw6_IzT-R5wYlOv0eMM

--
Given a choice between two theories, take the one which is funnier