Hurricane Florence and Charleston, SC

Iain McFadyen ki4hlv at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 17:59:13 EDT 2018

Glad to hear that you are OK, Terry.

Please note that according to the NWS website, no less than seven of the
National Weather Service transmitters in NC, and two of the transmitters in
SC are off the air.

So, if you have a S.A.M.E. radio listening to the 162MHz channels, please
re-check that you are receiving at least one of the NWS transmissions.

(The SAME radio is programmed with an area ID based on your ZIP code, and
the radio stays muted until an alert is received for your area, so if the
transmitter is off the air, you won't know about it)

Deplorable that a system like that, designed to be used to advise of
tornadoes and floods, is so badly crippled at the very time it is needed.

73

Iain  G4JMM     (aka  KI4HLV)