Airgig

Rob Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Fri Sep 28 13:36:06 EDT 2018

After reading that article, it doesn't sound like the wires are being used for RF at all.

My take-aways (which could be completely wrong of course) are:

* this is low power millimeter-wave mesh networking which strictly needs visual line of sight since it's close to being light.
* medium voltage is defined by the NESC as 600V - 69kV
* at voltages usually used for transmission and neighborhood distribution (7200V - 20000V) one must keep the foliage away anyway
* so there's line of sight and appealinglly short distances between poles
* might be even able to skip poles
* device looks as if it could be set with a hot stick; it appears to be low power enough that it can inductively take power from the HV line just by sitting on it.

To get to individual homes, you have the advantages of short distances.

A novel idea if you ask me.

Definitely worth watching, going to talks, reading patents, etc.

-r