FW: FT8 Field day

drz1953 at yahoo.com drz1953 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 24 20:28:31 EDT 2019

From: drz1953 at yahoo.com <drz1953 at yahoo.com>
Sent: Monday, June 24, 2019 20:25
To: 'Alex Fraser' <beatnic at comcast.net>
Subject: RE: FT8 Field day

Alex,

Ft-8 WOULD ABSOLUTELY BE UN-SAFE IN A CAR/MOBILE. IF YOU ARE DRIVING YOU WOULD HAVE TO LOOK AT THE SCREEN. YOUR EYES WOULD NOT BE ON THE ROAD.  At the Alexandria/Arlington FDI!,  I instructed and watched over 15 DIFFERENT people, We did over 200 contacts. With-in certain guidelines,  FT-8 contest mode is automated to a certain extent. You will still need to look at the screen for options in the program. and to check for other stations. You have to tell it you want to contact another station. Then, the auto-response takes over and you have to tell FT-8 at the end of the Contact to log the contact. You also only have a 15 second cycle before it flips to transmit or receive. Automation takes over and does this.

Al/ K4ZB