Who do we know at the ARRL (misappropriation of net 44)?

Rob Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Fri Jul 19 11:08:18 EDT 2019

Apparently the AMPR folks (net 44) have decided to sell a quarter of the IPv4 address space that has been entrusted to their care to Amazon in order to endow a fund for unspecified purposes.  I’ve heard the number $50mm bandied about.  Based on my personal knowledge of the market, that number is in the right ballpark (say, within 20%).

AMPR’s side of the story is here:  https://www.ampr.org/amprnet/ <https://www.ampr.org/amprnet/>

Outrage over this deal here:  https://mailman.nanog.org/pipermail/nanog/2019-July/102103.html <https://mailman.nanog.org/pipermail/nanog/2019-July/102103.html>

There are parallels being drawn to if the League decided that they could make a bunch of money by claiming authority (on the basis that they run the band plan) to auction off, say, 23cm because they could get a billion or so for 60 MHz of prime real estate.  They don’t do that though; in fact they have the Spectrum Defense Fund to fight encroachment.

My personal opinion is that this address space was originally granted for the public use of the amateur community and at best this decision represents conversion.  I don’t think ARIN did anything wrong here; I am quite confident that their processes were followed to a T.

So, who are the right folks to flag this to at the ARRL?  We need to start the fraud complaints heading in to ARIN.

Thanks,

-r