anyone with an entry level FPGA development board (VHDL support) they don't need?

Terry N4TLF n4tlf at wb4jfi.com
Mon Mar 16 12:31:47 EDT 2020

MicroBlaze used to cost significant dollars to use.  PicoBlaze was the smaller, no-cost option.

Beware of hidden costs associated with the IDE tools.  I bought one Xilinx-based board, where the Vivaldo license was locked to the one board, and for only a limited time.  Once that time expired, yu needed to purchase a regular license.  On the other hand, the Altera line has/had issues where they discontinue support for lines of FPGA chips as they update the IDE.

One other point regarding FPGAs, most tend to be power hogs.
Terry