What could go wrong?

kf4hcw kf4hcw at lifeatwarp9.com
Mon Jun 29 15:44:44 EDT 2020

On 6/29/20 1:20 PM, Terry N4TLF wrote:
> Linux use has drastically dropped here, partially due to the above.
> It’s not really the “Linux” OS itself, rather the various distros that
> the wizards keep changing.  My time is valuable, so spending time to
> fix what they broke is just wasted overhead.  I can run Windows
> programs from many years ago, not so with what I’ve tried with Linux.
> I’d rather play in the occasional world of DLL Hell than the
> constantly deprecated Linux world.
>
> And, don’t get me started on Apple.  I tried that, got the t shirt,
> coffee mug, and years of Apple Store bills just to make any software
> available to the general public.
>
> Anyway, back to my IMSAI running CP/M....
> 73, Terry, N4TLF

I feel your pain -- but you're describing the life of a software
developer on the edge... Absolutely true that as things move forward
older things start to fail for "no good reason" -- except, really, the
good reason is that things have moved on and it's an inconvenience.

I'm dealing with that right now on my own code!!... g++ moved on, and
things that used to compile just find in C++ without warnings/errors now
must be updated... It's not a terrible amount of work; but it is work.

My preference (having done both every day for a few decades) is for the
linux kind of driver/lib hell over the DLL hell -- mostly because in DLL
hell there are sooooo many things mysteriously hidden or intentionally
made incompatible for "business reasons"... at least in the *nix version
of that it's usually possible at least to figure out what's going on...
and usually not have to fight somebody (most of the time, and getting
better every day) over whether it should be fixable.

my $0.02

_M

--
kf4hcw