Chinese PSK31

Jacek Radzikowski jacek.radzikowski at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 23:48:10 EST 2020

International characters shown on web pages use Unicode character encoding.
There are several formats of Unicode encodings, but all of them require
that all 8 bits from each byte are transmitted. Even truncating bytes to 7
bits to squeeze them in 7-bit ASCII will make the text undecodable.
PSK31 uses an alphabet with a limited set of characters. Without an
additional processing (e.g. converting to base64) there should be no
reliable way to transmit Unicode text using default text encoding. However,
it should be possible if the software does some kind of re-encoding
internally, and can transparently transmit binary messages.

Jacek
kw4ep

--
Given a choice between two theories, take the one which is funnier