SO-239 hood?

Alex Fraser beatnic at comcast.net
Fri Jan 8 13:18:40 EST 2021

First of all "UHF female crimp connectors" sounds oddly exciting, even
at my age.

Wandering back to the point I have seen those in my searches and will
probably buy a couple to see what they look like.   Does crimping hold
up well outside?

I have a metal lathe and I'm comfortable with making threads. The outer
body of a So-239 would be easy, but that inner part the the center pin
fits into would be trick to make. Also the crimp they use to hold in the
insulating material could be a problem.  I don't have any test gear, not
the skill to figure out the electrical qualities of these connectors.  I
seem to remember seeing the specs for teflon vs bakelite somewhere.  So
often the electrical specs just aren't given. My application in this
case is HF and I'm sure the old UHF connectors are adequate.  I can
almost here the "tsk. tsk, tsk" of more serious hams wondering why I
don't use N connectors...