Fixing COM port problems in Windows 10/8/7 etc. with ease

samudra.haque at gmail.com samudra.haque at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 18:48:03 EST 2021

I recently had a difficult problem that I was able to solve with
https://theitbros.com/how-to-delete-com-ports-in-use/

The COM ports were showing when connected, and more or less used the same
COM ports as before, but when applications such as Ham Radio Deluxe or Chirp
tried to access the ports (USB Serial cables) or some other devices that are
attached using XILINX FPGA tools, things went screwy. After an afternoon I
called up RT Systems for help with their cables and they suggested I look
for small utilities that could have placed a lock on the ports - and I found
none. And when I disconnected everything, I was amazed to see the ports more
or less still be present, even though things should have changed.

The fix outlined above was easy to do, and a few minutes later, all was well
with all COM ports freshly reconnected and passing traffic.

So, have fun. Also, I was amazed to learn that sysinternals tools are very
useful for Windows hosts:  <https://live.sysinternals.com/>
https://live.sysinternals.com/

And process explorer gives more details than any other 'explorer' etc.

73 de Samudra N3RDX