Which FCC table is applicable to ...

Phil philmt59 at aol.co.uk
Thu Feb 25 18:05:39 EST 2021

Only the lower frequencies would be reflected, i.e. depending on angles, those cited as “maximum usable frequencies” (MUFs) and below. Higher frequencies would pass through as they do from earth, disappearing into space forever. Hence the use of 30 MHz and up (VHF / UHF for most modern amateur low-earth-orbit satellites). The USA and USSR had agreed to the international use of VHF frequencies (150 MHz?) before either had launched a satellite in 1957; USSR reneged on the deal as soon as Sputnik 1 was launched, transmitting on roughly 20 and 40 MHz; they wanted radio amateurs to be able to hear the transmissions before the US Government could claim that the launch announcement was a fake. The Sputnik 1 beacons were credited with advancing understanding of the ionosphere.

Interestingly, when Heaviside and Kennelly predicted the existence of an ionosphere in 1902, their arguments were so persuasive (they did not consider the effect of frequency) that all research into radio astronomy ceased for nearly 25 years!

Phil M1GWZ