hi and 73's

Paul L Rinaldo prinaldo@mindspring.com
Fri, 08 Feb 2002 09:24:36 -0500

Allan,

The petition submitted by ARRL was intended to get the allocation(s), not
change the rules on who can operate on which frequency. Maybe that sounds
strange but here is the background.

The FCC is divided into several Offices and Bureaus. The Office of
Engineering and Technology (OET) does allocations. The Wireless
Telecommunications Bureau (WTB) writes the rules what amateurs of various
classes can do within the amateur bands. It is preferable not to mix the
two. The ARRL petition was written with OET in mind--that is get the
135.7-137.8 kHz and 160-190 kHz allocated to the Amateur Radio Service. OET
will not address which amateurs can operate on these proposed bands or what
they can transmit on them.

So if the OET grants us the allocations, the bands could be used by
Generals and above, as there is no petition to change what bands Novices
and Techs can operate on because that would be a separate action by WTB.

You will have an opportunity to comment to the FCC when they publish a
Notice of Proposed Rule Making.

Paul Rinaldo, W4RI
Manager, Technical Relations, ARRL
(My night job is President, AMRAD)