Digital to Analog Transition for Wireless Phone Service

Philip Miller Tate Philmt59 at aol.com
Fri Oct 5 16:42:07 CDT 2007

> yeah, digital cellphones in boats don't work nearly as well
> as the analog phones. with digital phones, it tends to
> be binary - it works completely or it works not at all.
> there's no notion of "noisy but readable" that adds
> multiple miles to analog coverage out into the ocean.
>
> oh well - file this under "declared progress"

Blimey, what a coincidence - your description sounds just like
analogue TV and radio, too. One day, this property of analogue will
be discovered to enormous acclaim. However, I fear no schoolchild
will ever discover that you can play a CD with a sewing needle and a
paper cone; nor build a DAB receiver with a long wire and a piece of
coke or pyrite. Sigh.

Luddite Phil M1GWZ