$150 processor card ideal for self-contained SDR (transceiver?)

Michael O'Dell mo at ccr.org
Sat Jan 17 15:24:10 CST 2009

Alberto di Bene wrote:
> Michael O'Dell wrote:
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEL0sW71PFs&NR=1
>>
>> note that since the OMAP3 was created as the processor for
>> a multi-mode 3G cellphone, the DSP functions are very non-trivial.
>>
>> this should allow one to build a "Perseus-style" SDR
>> but one should be able to forego the FPGA baseband processing
>> and just use DSP horsepower along with the high-performance A/D
>> units (which were also done for cellphones).
>>
>> seems like a AMRAD dream hack-toy
>>
>> 	-mo
>
> I have one of them, I bought it a couple of months ago just for SDR purposes.
> The biggest problem with it is that you have to use the PC as development
> platform, as the BB itself has not enough RAM to run a full fledged IDE
> environment. But of course the OMAP processor of the BB is not compatible with
> the Pentium CPU, so you have to install on the PC a complete cross-development
> environment, to be able to compile and debug OMAP programs on the Pentium.
> This must be done under Linux.

128 Megs should be plenty of RAM to do software development.
what is probably lacking is "disk" space. a card in the SD slot
can probably hold all the dev software required, but there's
also the alternative of connecting a USB disk drive
via the USB spigot. then paging will work, too.

of course, there is the fact that I consider vi (or vim), make,
and the C/C++ compiler toolchain to be a perfectly usable
software dev environment which was more than good enough to
build Linux (and BSD Unix before it). if you want more than
what vim does for you, run Emacs and get a "full-fledged IDE".

the really interesting stuff will be getting the DSP engine
turned up and working, and that will almost certainly be
easier hosted on the board.

	-mo

PS - Note that the software toolchain will run on Windows under
Cygwin (at least) and on BSD systems as well.