For Kodachrome Fans, Road Ends at Photo Lab in Kansas - NYTimes.com

Robert E. Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Fri Dec 31 18:01:14 CST 2010

Are you dead-on positive that it was Kodachrome that they were doing
themselves (K-14) not Ektachrome (E-6)?  If so, I'd really love to see
a write-up on how they did it.  There a no color couplers in
Kodachrome; it requires that they be added (a dye color at a time)
during processing.  The process was byzantine enough that there were
never home chemistry kits for Kodachrome processing (which is why
Dwayne's shutting down the last extant K-14 line is such big news).

On the other hand, the toughest part of doing E-6 processing is that
the temperature must be maintained fairly stable throughout - once
upon a time I had a big Rubbermaid tub with an immersion heater that I
used to keep the jugs of the solutions (and the tank itself) at 100F.
Beyond that, all you needed was a standard tank like you used for
black and white film, and a changing bag, and you were all set to do
E-6 processing on your desktop.  Due to the expense and relatively
crappy quality of digital cameras for our paleo-webcasting effort,
this is how we did pictures of the Molson Ice Polar Beach Party in
1995.

-r