Lates (not quite news, for those who were there) of the Hamvention

Dan Romanchik KB6NU cwgeek at kb6nu.com
Sun Jul 31 07:50:58 CDT 2011

I think they're saying that there are no other venues in the Dayton area that can accommodate that many people. They may be right. I really don't know. There are, of course, many venues in other places that can handle that many people, but it is the Dayton Amateur Radio Association that puts on this event, not the Richmond ARA or the San Mateo ARA.

That's really no excuse for the poor condition of Hara Arena, though. There's really no telling how many people stay away because the place is such a lousy place to meet. (I was going to use a more profane word here, but thought better of it.) Eventually the other big ham gatherings, such as HamCation, or the one in Texas, are going to become the premiere events because they are more pleasant places to meet.

The Dayton people think they have the upper hand because Dayton's been the biggest and best for so long, and the diehards will probably keep showing up there, but they're digging themselves a bigger hole every year. Maybe those of us who really hate Hara could organize and petition some of the big exhibitors to put some pressure on the DARA to move it to a different place. Surely, there are some venues in Cincinnati that could handle a crowd that size and that have working toilets.

73!

Dan KB6NU
CW Geek, Ham Radio Instructor
Station Manager, WA2HOM at the Hands-On Museum (www.wa2hom.org)