Amazing: the US automobile industry discovers the Diesel engine...

Mike O'Dell mo at ccr.org
Wed Apr 25 21:37:55 CDT 2012

Indeed i meant "in the US" - although the rest
of the world is not afflicted by the corn-based
ethanol disease so there was a hint. (grin)

one advantage Diesels have now they didn't
back in 1979 when I bought a Diesel Rabbit
is much more sophisticated gearboxes.

an 8-speed computronic tranny makes it much
easier to keep a Diesel spinning in its "Max Grunt"
torque sweet spot with the turbos whizzing smartly.
that and new materials reduce the weight
penalty.

the BMW 3 series twin-turbo inline 6-cylinder is
much snappier than most US gas-burning V6s
and easily gets twice the mileage. the gearbox
is a big part of making the most of the turbos.

What I do not miss, however, is my friend's Mercedes 240D -
the archtype "nasty truck Diesel in a in a big heavy
passenger car". The noise and smoke had the
"wife acceptance factor" of being trapped in an elevator
with a flatulent basset hound. And even a casual drive was always
excessively exciting because one had to plan so far ahead
to deal with a 0-60 time best measured with a calendar.

I always thought the 240D did more to harm the
notion of a civilized automotive Diesel than anything except
the execrable "Dieselized" gas engines that GM tried foisting
on an unsuspecting public. That demonstrated malice aforethought.

     -mo