UJV-5R

William "Bill" Kisse WA3GJD at arrl.net
Tue Mar 11 16:55:28 CDT 2014

Robert:

The user interface makes sense and programming is easy.

Honestly, I believe Baofeng has finally come of age in both specs and firmware.

Still hard to believe that these little portables are so inexpensive and - finally - well designed.

The UV-B5 UV-B6 portables look good on my commercial service monitor.

Batteries and accessories are also inexpensive - I purchased a spare battery for $7.95 and D.C. battery eliminator for $9.95 for my UV-B6.

My only concern is that these units cover 136-174 and 400-470 Mhz. and are available on Amazon at:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1/179-9142968-7734826?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=baofeng&sprefix=baofe%2Caps&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Abaofeng

So an uninformed user could easily interfere with Amateur or commercial / police communicaton.

IMHO these should not be available for sale in the U.S. if they cover frequencies outside the Amateur Radio band.

They are not Type 90 certified!

I've observed the Baofeng units being used by non-Amateur or non-commercial users in many locations.

Give the newer UV-B5 or UV-B6 a try.

The complete radio is less than a replacement battery for the Yaesu or Icom portables!

At their price point virtually nothing to lose and a lot to gain.

73,

Bill
WA3GJD

William "Bill" Kisse

301-908-8279
“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.”
Margaret Mead, American Cultural Anthropologist