Three reasons to hold off on Windows 10

Terry N4TLF n4tlf at wb4jfi.com
Sat Sep 5 19:25:42 CDT 2015

It's funny Pete, I saw another complaint about Linux and the magical moving
library links problem in another amateur radio forum just today.  I'll try
to find which one.

Note that I haven't really complained about writing or compiling the code
itself nearly as much as dependencies (libraries, etc) constantly changing.
One time, they are in /etc, the next time they may be in /usr/etc, the next
time they may be in /bin/etc, or somewhere else.  Even the soft/hard links
are changing around.  Also, stuff gets "deprecated" way too often, leaving
one holding an empty bag, trying to fix problems.

Try messing with GNU radio as an example.  If you had a GNU Radio setup that
worked just fine under Ubuntu 8.04 (which I have several), and try to run it
under 12.04 or 14.04, you will find that it can't run anymore.  Libraries
don't exist, modules have different names or don't exist.  I gave up trying
to fix my old SoftRock and Charleston SDR GNU Radio stuff.

Similar issues with QT and its dependencies.  Old libraries from a few years
ago don't exist anymore, or have been moved, which breaks present-day code.
These are just a couple of examples.  Another is trying to get java running
right, so work can be done on the "jl" contest log program.  The list goes
on and on.

This has NOTHING to do with the actual OS (Linux) - I readily admit.  It has
everything to do with the distro gurus and program maintainers.  There is
much more of a wild-west, we can do anything we want, mentality that seems
to prevail.

In summary, you may be correct about the actual writing of software, and the
necessary documentation for doing that.  But, as an end-user that must rely
on a consistent "load-n-run" sequence over a period of years, my experience
seems to be different.  Maybe our experiences are just apples vs oranges.

Lest this become perceived as a religious war, I also have issues with
Windows.  But that's for another time!
73, Terry, N4TLF