Copper Phone Lines Vs Fiber Optic, Which Is Better?

Richard O'Neill richardoneill at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 26 22:59:01 CDT 2015

On 9/26/2015 8:47 PM, Richard Demaret wrote:
> I still have copper lines and want to keep them.

  Then by all means do so, at least as long as copper lines remain
available to you. However, over time buried copper cables deteriorate
which will require calling a tech to switch your phone to a new pair,
usually in a few days time. Eventually Verizon will either have to
replace copper or, more likely if your neighborhood is already FIOS
wired, elect to switch you to fiber. The clock is ticking, it's only a
matter of time.

  As for the short run time 12v gel cell Verizon initially installs, it
will eventually expire without notice then catch you with your pants
down when you most need it. To add insult to injury Verizon will bill
you for a replacement. I avoided that hassle and inconvenience by
substituting a car battery, continuously trickle charged. In the event
of a power outage it will maintain my phone and router for quite some
time. How long I haven't yet determined but certainly far longer than
the puny backup battery Verizon supplies.

Richard