Copper Phone Lines Vs Fiber Optic, Which Is Better?

Louis Mamakos louie at transsys.com
Sun Sep 27 16:20:21 CDT 2015

If your copper wire pair is served by a DLC (Digital Loop Carrier System) rather
than going back to the LEC central office, then you will be disappointed by how
long the -48V loop voltage will hang around.  That battery plant is not sized nearly
as large since it has to fit into, e.g., an underground vault.

Go dig up some news coverage from Katrina and see how long the LEC infrastructure
actually survives in the face of widespread catastrophic failures.. The local loops
are not like they used to be when "kindly" AT&T was running the show.. much more
complicated now.  I'd guess that along with the decline in the investment in copper
wire loops for the last mile, the battery replacement schedules aren't what they
used to be, either.

louie
wa3ymh