Copper Phone Lines Vs Fiber Optic, Which Is Better?

Rob Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Sun Sep 27 19:15:55 CDT 2015

Louis Mamakos <louie at transsys.com> writes:

> If your copper wire pair is served by a DLC (Digital Loop Carrier
> System) rather than going back to the LEC central office, then you
> will be disappointed by how long the -48V loop voltage will hang
> around.  That battery plant is not sized nearly as large since it
> has to fit into, e.g., an underground vault.

Good point Louie,  I'd forgotten for the moment about SLCs:
http://www.rayvaughan.com/images/telecom/RT/MVC-904Fb.JPG
and CEVs:
http://oldcastleshelters.com/CEV.aspx

One of the nice things about PON (FiOS) is that unlike cable HFC or
POTS/DSL (yes, there are DSLAMs in SLC peds and CEVs) you almost
certainly have no active components between you and the CO...  which
has a diesel generator.

If you don't like the run time of the battery at your end for the
FiOS, you can do what Richard did and hack in a bigger battery.
Harder to do when there are strand-mount amplifiers.

-r