design / development question FPGA (Xilinx), DDS and RF output

samudra.haque at gmail.com samudra.haque at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 11:59:42 EST 2021

Thanks Terry,

I am using Vivado/Vitis/HLS 2020.2 and getting ok with the toolchain. On my
SEEED Studio Spartan Edge Accelerator, the board designer has included TI
DAC7311 which is a single-input 12-bit DAC at 3V3 output levels. Can I add
the schematics to tacos BB mailing list - is that permitted?

The board is obviously pre-wired, and made in qty, and cheap ! so I would
like to use it. From what I can infer from the data sheet of the device,
this is my guess:

DDS IP from XLINX (Spartan-7 FPGA)

Parallel to serial conversion using (?? SERDES ??) IP from XLINX (Spartan-7
FPGA) to external pins

Connection to TI DAC7311

Conversion to Analog output.

The DAC is rated up to 50 MHz .. but that refers to the bits/second of the
data transmission, right? For actual RF modulation, that bitstream
(waveform) would have to be mixed to the carrier frequency I am roughly sure
(asking for confirmation). At that stage, could we then transport a 9.6kbps
data stream on say a 144-145 MHz carrier?

Samudra N3RDX